A hashtag is a tool that allows you to apply metadata tags to your social posts so others can easily find them. Hashtag can be used in videos posts on most social media networks including; Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
How to hashtag
To hashtag, you use ‘#’ and then type in a topic that your post relates to, without using a space in between.
e.g. If you post a photo of a dog rolling in the mud you can hashtag #dog, #puppy, #mud, #bathtime.
Search for and use popular hashtags related to your video.The more popular they are, the more people searching for those hashtags to see related content. Most platforms will even tell you how many people have used that particular hashtag. Try to include hashtags that have between 1,000 and 10,000 uses to increase your post reach.
You can also create your own hashtag. Having your own personalised hashtag groups all your posts in a type of ‘online library’ so it’s easily searchable for your audience.
e.g. Here at Shootsta, our hashtag is #shotwithshootsta.
Number of Hashtags
Keep your hashtags relevant and within reasons to avoid spamming and to stay within the hashtag limits of each social platform. The hashtags also must be relevant to your video otherwise the algorithms could cause your video to underperform.
- Instagram: 30 max. However, 5 or 6 hashtags per post is the best practice.
- Facebook: No limit. With Facebook, it pays to be economical with words rather than hashtags.
- LinkedIn: No limit. 5 is best practice.
- Twitter: No limit. 3 is best practice.
- Pinterest: No limit. 4 is best practice and maximum displayed in description when scrolling through feed.
- YouTube: No limit. However 15 relevant hashtags is best practice to avoid spamming and underperformance. The first three hashtags in description of the video will be added to the title of the video.
Make sure to check out our article on how to write a good description or post copy.
Need help or have questions? Get in touch. We’d love to help!