What is the difference between captions, subtitles and .SRT files?
Captions & subtitles are text displayed at the bottom of your video that translate or transcribe spoken dialogue. They can either be hard coded or stored in an .SRT file.
Hard-coded captions & subtitles are added directly onto your video in editing, so the captions are 'burnt' into the video's metadata. This means that you can't toggle the captions & subtitles on or off.
.SRT files are separate files with a transcript of your audio that you upload to your video hosting platform together with your video. This means that you can toggle the captions & subtitles on or off.
It also enables search engines to 'read' the content of your video, making it SEO friendly so your video is more likely to appear in search results! Check out this article for more information about SRT files and how to upload them with your video.
Available languages for captions & subtitles
- Chinese simplified
- Chinese traditional
- English - included!
- Portuguese (Brazil)
Note that captions & subtitles
- are applied to your final, approved edit version, not the first version.
- can be translated from English into any of the above languages.
- can take up to 48 hours to be returned from the time you approve the final version of your edit.
How much do captions & Subtitles cost?
English captions are included in your Shootsta subscriptions. Foreign language captions and subtitles come a an additional cost. Pricing for Foreign language captions and subtitles are tax inclusive and depend on your Shootsta subscription region:
How to request captions or subtitles?
- Follow our guide to requesting Add-ons in the Hub as you submit your video for editing
- Once you're happy with the version, log into Wipster through the Shootsta Hub to review your edit
- Leave a comment to let us know that you're ready for us to apply your captions or subtitles.
- Click 'Finished Review' in Wipster.
- In 48 hours or less, your video will have captions or subtitles!
Already have the transcribed or translated script?
Great! You can provide this when submitting your video and we can insert it for you at the same rate as regular captioning. Easy!